Dare we call it "info-tainment"?
Who says that entertainment is a waste of time? If "an intellectual improvement arises from leisure," then time spent enjoying a favorite movie or television show is time well-spent. At Q101, we celebrate this by listing notable quotes and scenes from some of the works we like best, and we try to uncover the wisdom alongside the wit. (Or, if all that sounds too serious, we also feature the rants and raves of an adoring fangirl.)
Select a topic in the menu on the left, or read on for a sampling of our site's content.
- Quotes -
The good, the bad, the sad, the funny: the things we wish we'd thought to say first.
[From Austin Powers]
Dr. Evil: As you know, every diabolical scheme I've hatched has been thwarted by Austin Powers. And why is that, ladies and gentlemen?
Scott: Because you never kill him when you get the chance, and you're a dope?
[From Buffy the Vampire Slayer]
Xander: That's my radio!
Spike: And you're what? Shocked and disappointed? I'm evil!
[From Caroline in the City]
Caroline: Did he just say 'fee' and 'my place'?
Annie: Caroline, do not judge! The profession of gigolo is noble and time-honored.
Richard: Must you always look at the world through tramp-colored glasses?
[From the Golden Girls]
Dorothy: Rose, I am not in denial.
Rose: Yes, you are. You're just denying you're in denial.
Dorothy: Rose, honey, I am not denying I'm in denial.
Rose: If you're not denying you're in denial, then you're in denial.
Dorothy: Look, fluffhead. Why should I deny being in denial? I never said I was in denial, YOU are the one who said I was in denial, and don't you deny it.
Ms. Collins: How come you're not scared?
MacGyver: Well, you know that old saying "Lord, give me the strength to deal with what I can and endure what I can't"? Well, I'm enduring.
Ms. Collins: You know, in a weird way, you're a comfort.
[From Mama's Family]
Naomi: Talk about adding insult to injury.
Vint: Technically, it would be adding injury to insult, Skeeter. You see, the injury happened after she was insulted. Now, if she had fallen and then been turned down, that would be adding insult to injury.
Mama: Vinton, how would you like to be injured *and* insulted?
[From Moulin Rouge]
Christian: Love is a many-splendored thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love!
Satine: Please, don't start that again.
[From The Mummy]
Rick: Let me guess, it was commanded by this Scorpion King guy?
Evelyn: Yes, but he only awakens once every 5,000 years.
Rick: Right. And if someone doesn't kill him, then he's gonna wipe out the world.
Evelyn: How did you know?
Rick: I didn't, but that's always the story.
[From The Princess Bride]
Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
[From The Young Riders]
Cody: I don't know about you, but I'm gonna keep my money in my sock from now on.
Jimmy: Lord knows you ain't hurting for room there, seeing how your foot is usually in your mouth.
- Lessons Learned -
All the world's a stage ... and the stage is a classroom?
* A tight dress is really all a girl needs to crash some very "swank" parties.
* Only an American would come to someone's door without telephoning.
* You don't need a gun to be deadly.
* If you find a high-tech listening device, telling it your name and phone number is not a good idea.
* College can be more painful than torture.
* The handsome man doesn't always rescue the damsel in distress, but she doesn't always need him to.
* Even good-looking people have problems.
* Some humans are monsters.
* A cry for help is when you say "help" in a loud voice.
* Every family's got its problems.
[From Back to the Future]
* Once a slacker does not mean always a slacker.
* If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.
* Stand tall and have some respect for yourself.
* One small event can change the world.
* Your future is whatever you make it.
* One case does not a detective make.
* Private detectives have all the fun.
* No office should be without a wacky secretary.
* Be very careful who you trust with your money.
* Few people can annoy you as much as the ones you're attracted to.
* People with an attitude do a little advertising.
[From My So-Called Life]
* Sometimes beautiful people aren't so nice.
* School is a battlefield for your heart.
* People tell you to be yourself, like yourself is some defined thing.
* The one you want isn't always the one you need.
* Before using a pair of handcuffs, make sure you have the key.
* People won't wait for you forever.
- Favorite Scenes -
also known as "moments"
Frasier and Roz were at the coffee shop that they frequent. Niles came in as Roz was about to leave. As Roz stood up from her seat, Niles reached into his jacket pocket. Roz snapped, "Every time I get up from a chair, you wipe the seat before you sit in it. I have to tell you that is more than a little insulting." Niles pulled out his cell phone and, without giving Roz a response, he started dialing a number. Roz mumbles an embarrassed, "Oh, sorry Niles. Guess I'm just little edgy today." She leaves. Niles, on the phone, has apparently dialed the cafe's number. He says, "Yes, this is Dr. Crane at table four. Can you send someone over to wipe my chair?"
[From Guys Next Door]
A thug arrived at the Guys' place. Apparently, he had to tell stories to some orphans - or something - as a condition of his parole. Since the Guys' place was closer, he just stopped by there. One day he showed up as they were sitting around and they told him, "But we don't want a story." With a glance at their feet propped up on the coffee table near him, he retorts, "Hey, I don't want stinky feet, but sometimes it happens."
[From Pirates of the Caribbean]
When Will and Jack board the Dauntless, they sneak on deck to confront the crew. Jack shouts that they are taking over the ship. Behind him, Will, with his sword drawn shouts, "Aye! Avast!" The sailors laugh, probably because it's Jack and Will against multiple men - but also maybe because they don't really talk like that. Jack turns to give Will a what-the-heck-are-you-doing look. Will looks back at Jack, and seeing his expression, Will's eyebrows raise quizzically. He looks so sweet, like a little kid trying to please.
[From Quantum Leap]
In one episode, Sam was a soap opera star who'd been taken hostage by a crazed fan. She had him chained to a bed; he'd just regained consciousness from being knocked out. She was casually trying to serve him tea. Tactfully trying to explain why it was wrong for her to keep him there he ventured, "Don't you think this is all a bit ... unusual?" She smiled and replied, "I like unusual." Frustrated at not getting through to her, he muttered, "This is crazy." She flung the tea tray against the wall shrieking, "DON'T SAY THAT! DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT!" He stared in horror, but the next instant she was calm again and went to go fix more tea.
- More -
For Your Information
* Commentary on books and TV episodes, plus other critiques.
* If a picture is worth a thousand words, would a gallery be the equivalent of a lengthy novel?
* For a brief site history and answers to questions such as May I use your info? and What is "fannesite?" visit the F.A.Q.
* Corrections, suggestions, and random comments about the site are always welcome. Contact the webmistress.
* Navigate the full list of our content at the site map