If one style was chosen to "define" the 80's sound, it would probably be electronic music (e.g., synthpop) with the heavy use of the synthesizer, but the music of the 1980s is better described as a melting pot, with everything from country to hard rock appearing side by side on the charts. The decade also saw the emergence of teen pop, Rock en Español, New Wave and glam metal, and the introduction of Hip Hop and sampling. Various older bands - such as The Beach Boys, The Kinks, and The Steve Miller Band - enjoyed a comeback. In December 1989 Billboard Magazine named Michael Jackson as the best Artist of the Decade for the 1980s.
80's Music: Review
Favorite Songs? See below.
Favorite Acts? See below.
Verdict: Casual Fan or Big-Time Fangirl? Big-Time Fangirl
Comments: I'm a big fan of many kinds of music, but the eclectic sounds of "80's music" especially appeal to me. Part of that can be attributed to my hearing the music while I was growing up, and it still has a comfortable and familiar feel for me, kinda like going home. Mostly, I like the songs because they tend to be upbeat and just plain fun.
- 300 Favorite 80's Songs -
Also known as "300 Awesome 80's Songs"
"1999" by Prince
"867-5309 / Jenny" by Tommy Tutone
"9 to 5" by Dolly Parton
"99 Luftbaloons" by Nena
"Addicted to Love" by Robert Palmer
"Africa" by Toto
"Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" by Phil Collins
"Ain't Even Done With The Night" by John Cougar Mellencamp
"All Cried Out" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force
"All She Wants to Do Is Dance" by Don Henley
"Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson
"Alone" by Heart
"Always Something There to Remind Me" by Naked Eyes
"And We Danced" by The Hooters
"Anything for You" by Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
"At This Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters
"Babe" by Styx
"Baby, Come to Me" by Patti Austin and James Ingram
"Beat It" by Michael Jackson
"Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes
"Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson
"Born In The U.S.A." by Bruce Springsteen
"Brand New Lover" by Dead or Alive
"Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister
"Call Me" by Blondie
"Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon
"Careless Whisper" by Wham!
"Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run)" by Billy Ocean
"Centerfield" by John Fogerty
"Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul
"Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners
"Could've Been" by Tiffany
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen
"Cruel Summer" by Bananarama
"Crumblin' Down" by John Cougar Mellencamp
"Crush on You" by The Jets
"Cry" by Godley & Creme
"Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen
"Desert Moon" by Dennis DeYoung
"Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley
"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club
"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"Don't Disturb This Groove" by The System
"Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House
"Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)" by Glass Tiger
"Don't Get Me Wrong" by the Pretenders
"Don't Know What You Got" by Cinderella
"Don't Mean Nothing" by Richard Marx
"Don't Rush Me" by Taylor Dayne
"Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police
"Don't Stop Believing" by Journey
"Don't Talk to Strangers" by Rick Springfield
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds
"Don't You Want Me?" by The Human League
"Drive" by The Cars
"Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" by Aerosmith
"Easy Lover" by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins
"Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks
"Every Breath You Take" by The Police
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison
"Everybody Have Fun Tonight" by Wang Chung
"Everytime You Go Away" by Paul Young
"Eye in the Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project
"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
"Faith" by George Michael
"Faithfully" by Journey
"Flashdance... What a Feeling" by Irene Cara
"Foolish Beat" by Debbie Gibson
"Foolish Heart" by Steve Perry
"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
"Fortress Around Your Heart" by Sting
"Freeze Frame" by the J Geils Band
"Fresh" by Kool & the Gang
"Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr.
"Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" by Milli Vanilli
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper
"Gloria" by Laura Branigan
"Hand to Hold on To" by John Cougar Mellencamp
"Handle Me With Care" by the Traveling Wilburys
"Hard Habit to Break" by Chicago
"Harden My Heart" by Quarterflash
"Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears
"Head Over Heels" by The Go-Go's
"Heat of the Moment" by Asia
"Heaven" by Warrant
"Hello" by Lionel Richie
"Here I Am" by Air Supply
"Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake
"High on You" by Survivor
"Hit Me with Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar
"Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins
"Holding Back The Years" by Simply Red
"Holding Out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler
"How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" by Michael Bolton
"How Can We Be Lovers?" by Michael Bolton
"How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston
"Human" by The Human League
"Hungry Eyes" by Eric Carmen
"Hungry Heart" by Bruce Springsteen
"Hurts So Good" by John Cougar Mellencamp
"I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" by Hall & Oates
"I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You" by Michael Jackson with Siedah Garrett
"I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" by Cutting Crew
"I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)" by Michael McDonald
"I Knew You Were Waiting (for Me)" by Aretha Franklin and George Michael
"I Love Rock N' Roll" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
"I Melt With You" by Modern English
"I Ran (So Far Away)" by A Flock Of Seagulls
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2
"I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany
"I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" by Whitney Houston
"I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
"If Ever You're in My Arms Again" by Peabo Bryson
"If This Is It" by Huey Lewis & the News
"If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red
"If You Leave" by OMD
"I'll Be There For You" by Bon Jovi
"I'm Alright" by Kenny Loggins
"I'm Still Standing" by Elton John
"In My Dreams" by REO Speedwagon
"In Too Deep" by Genesis
"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel
"In Your Room" by The Bangles
"Invisible Touch" by Genesis
"Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn Band
"Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield
"Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner
"Jump" by Van Halen
"Just a Gigolo" by David Lee Roth
"Just Between You and Me" by Lou Gramm
"(Just Like) Starting Over" by John Lennon
"(Keep Feeling) Fascination" by The Human League
"Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde
"King for a Day" by Thompson Twins
"King of Pain" by The Police
"Kissing a Fool" by George Michael
"Land of Confusion" by Genesis
"Late in the Evening" by Paul Simon
"Leather and Lace" by Don Henley and Stevie Nicks
"Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
"Look Away" by Chicago
"Lost in Emotion" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
"Lost in Your Eyes" by Debbie Gibson
"Love Bites" by Def Leppard
"Love Is A Battlefield" by Pat Benatar
"Love Shack" by the B-52's
"Love Song" by The Cure
"Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" by Juice Newton
"Magic" by The Cars
"Making Love out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply
"Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby & The Range
"Material Girl" by Madonna
"Mickey" by Toni Basil
"Midnight Blue" by Lou Gramm
"Missing You" by John Waite
"Modern Woman" by Billy Joel
"Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits
"Morning Train (Nine to Five)" by Sheena Easton
"Mr. Roboto" by Styx
"Need You Tonight" by INXS
"Neutron Dance" by Pointer Sisters
"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley
"No More Words" by Berlin
"No One Is To Blame" by Howard Jones
"Nothin' at All" by Heart
"Nothin's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship
"Obsession" by Animotion
"Oh No" by The Commodores
"On My Own" by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald
"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" by Great White
"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head
"One Thing Leads To Another" by The Fixx
"Only in My Dreams" by Debbie Gibson
"Only the Lonely" by The Motels
"Only Time Will Tell" by Asia
"Open Arms" by Journey
"Our Lips Are Sealed" by The Go-Go's
"Out of the Blue" by Debbie Gibson
"Out of Touch" by Hall & Oates
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes
"Part-Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder
"Physical" by Olivia Newton-John
"Poison Arrow" by ABC
"Poison" by Alice Cooper
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard
"Price of Love" by Bad English
"Private Dancer" by Tina Turner
"Private Eyes" by Hall & Oates
"Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes
"Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco
"Queen of Hearts" by Juice Newton
"Raspberry Beret" by Prince and The Revolution
"Real Love" by The Doobie Brothers
"Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco
"Rock the Casbah" by The Clash
"Roll with It" by Steve Winwood
"Rumors" by Timex Social Club
"Run to You" by Bryan Adams
"Running with the Night" by Lionel Richie
"Sad Songs (Say So Much)" by Elton John
"Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
"Say Say Say" by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson
"Say You Will" by Foreigner
"Seasons Change" by Expose
"Send Her My Love" by Journey
"Separate Lives" by Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin
"Seven Wonders" by Fleetwood Mac
"Shakedown" by Bob Seger
"Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top
"Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz
"She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby
"She's a Beauty" by The Tubes
"Should've Known Better" by Richard Marx
"Shout" by Tears for Fears
"Smuggler's Blues" by Glenn Frey
"Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell
"St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" by John Parr
"Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks
"Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones
"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty
"Straight Up" by Paula Abdul
"Strut" by Sheena Easton
"Suddenly" by Billy Ocean
"Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart
"Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses
"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Eurythmics
"Sweet Dreams" by Air Supply
"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell
"Take It Easy on Me" by the Little River Band
"Take It on the Run" by REO Speedwagon
"Talking in Your Sleep" by The Romantics
"Tell Her About It" by Billy Joel
"Tell It to My Heart" by Taylor Dayne
"That's All" by Genesis
"The Best" by Tina Turner
"The Flame" by Cheap Trick
"The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" by Timbuk 3
"The Girl Is Mine" by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson
"The Last Worthless Evening" by Don Henley
"The Living Years" by Mike and The Mechanics
"The Next Time I Fall" by Peter Cetera and Amy Grant
"The Night Owls" by the Little River Band
"The Promise" by When In Rome
"The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
"The Search is Over" by Survivor
"The Sweetest Thing (I've Ever Known)" by Juice Newton
"The Waiting" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"These Dreams" by Heart
"Throwing It All Away" by Genesis
"Too Much Time on My Hands" by Styx
"Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by Bonnie Tyler
"Tough Times Don't Last" by Bad English
"Toy Soldiers" by Martika
"Trouble" by Lindsey Buckingham
"Union of the Snake" by Duran Duran
"Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
"Urgent" by Foreigner
"Vacation" by The Go-Go's
"Valotte" by Julian Lennon
"Voices Carry" by 'Til Tuesday
"Waiting For A Girl Like You" by Foreigner
"Waiting For A Star To Fall" by Boy Meets Girl
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham!
"Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina & The Waves
"We Belong" by Pat Benatar
"We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel
"We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off" by Jermaine Stewart
"We'll Be Together" by Sting
"What Have I Done To Deserve This" by The Pet Shop Boys
"What Have You Done for Me Lately" by Janet Jackson
"What I Like About You" by The Romantics
"What's Love Got to Do with It" by Tina Turner
"When Doves Cry" by Prince
"When I See You Smile" by Bad English
"When I Think of You" by Janet Jackson
"Whip It" by Devo
"White Wedding" by Billy Idol
"Who Can It Be Now?" by Men at Work
"Who Wears These Shoes?" by Elton John
"Who Will You Run To" by Heart
"Who's Crying Now" by Journey
"Who's Johnny" by El DeBarge
"Wild, Wild West" by The Escape Club
"Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler
"With or Without You" by U2
"Words Get in the Way" by Gloria Estefan
"Working For The Weekend" by Loverboy
"Working My Way Back to You" by The Spinners
"Would I Lie to You" by Eurythmics
"Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police
"You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon
"You Can Do Magic" by America
"You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi
"You Got It All" by The Jets
"You Got Lucky" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"You Got The Look" by Prince and Sheena Easton
"You Might Think" by The Cars
"You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" by Dead Or Alive
"Your Love" by The Outfield
Note that there are *way* more than 300 great songs from the 1980s, but I've tried to list some that are representative of that music's greatness. If I missed one, please let me know, and I'll add it to the list when I get 100 more.
- Lessons Learned -
What can we learn from this decade?
* All some people want to do is dance.
* Don't believe everything you read on a bathroom wall
* Don't forget your second wind.
* Don't let 'em get you down; don't let 'em push you around.
* Don't worry; be happy.
* Every rose has its thorn.
* Everybody plays the fool.
* Everyone needs a hand to hold on to.
* Girls just wanna have fun!
* Hold on to sixteen as long as you can.
* If this ain't love, baby, just say so.
* If you keep carryin' that anger, it'll eat you up inside.
* It ain't over 'til it's over.
* It don't mean nothing, those words that they say.
* It just might be a lunatic you're looking for.
* It's a nice day to start again.
* Love bites.
* Love is a battlefield.
* Might as well face it: you're addicted to love.
* Never run away.
* People *love* dirty laundry.
* Playin' with the queen of hearts - you know it isn't really smart.
* Sad songs say so much.
* Some things are better left unsaid.
* Some years are not all they're cracked up to be.
* Take those broken wings and learn to fly again.
* There is always something there to remind me.
* There's too many man, too many people, making too many problems.
* Time can never mend the careless whispers of a good friend.
* Tough times don't last. Lovers do.
* With some things, only time will tell.
* Working nine to five: what a way to make a living!
* You can't hold what could've been on a cold and lonely night.
* You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
* You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.
* You've seen one crowded, polluted, stinkin' town... you've pretty much seen them all.
- Afterthoughts -
* Trivia: The Top 8 Artists of the 80's are: Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Whitney Houston, The Police, U2, R. E. M., and John Mellencamp.
* Trivia: The Top 8 Albums of the 80's are: Thriller (Michael Jackson), Like A Virgin (Madonna), Born In the USA (Bruce Springsteen), Purple Rain (Prince), Appetite For Destruction (Guns N' Roses), The Joshua Tree (U2), Faith (George Michael), and 1984 (Van Halen).
* Trivia: The Top 10 Singles of the 80's are: "Every Breath You Take" (The Police), "Eye of the Tiger" (Survivor), "I Want To Know What Love Is" (Foreigner), "Jump" (Van Halen), "With Or Without You" (U2), "Sweet Child O' Mine" (Guns N' Roses), "So Emotional" (Whitney Houston), "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Bonnie Tyler), "Endless Love" (Lionel Richie and Diana Ross), "Centerfold" (J. Geils band).
* Trivia: The Top 10 Songs of the 80's are: "Call Me" (Blondie), "All Out of Love" (Air Supply), "Another One Bites the Dust" (Queen), "Celebration" (Kool and the Gang), "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" (Pat Benatar), "Ride Like the Wind" (Christopher Cross), "Shining Star" (The Manhattans), "Fame"" (Irene Cara), "Just Like Starting Over"" (John Lennon).
* Trivia: The Top 10 Solo Careers of the 80's are: Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Lionel Richie, George Michael, Don Henley, Belinda Carlisle, Sting, Stevie Nicks, and Kenny Loggins.
* 80's Music website links: Top 100 Songs of the 80's, The 80's Music Center, 80's Music Videos, 80's Music Lyrics, 80'sOneHitWonders, OneHitWonderCentral.com, 80's Music News, Like Totally 80's, InThe80s.com, The 80's Server, Pure 80's Pop
* Share comments about 80's Music or suggest additions/corrections to this page at the forums.
* Questions? Check our FAQ for FGA (Frequently Given Answers).
* Navigate the full list of our content at the site map