He had me at "Whoa."
One of the most inscrutable actors to ever hit it big, Keanu Reeves has been by turns adored, reviled, and grudgingly respected by the movie-going public. As the controversy over his talent rages on, his career choices and paychecks show him inching toward A-list status.
Reeves, whose first name means "cool breeze over the mountains" in Hawaiian, was born in Beirut, Lebanon in 1964. His mother, Patricia, was a showgirl; his father, Samuel Nowlin Reeves, a geologist. After their marriage dissolved, Keanu moved with his mother and younger sister Kim to New York City, then Toronto.
Despite his deadpan delivery style and reputation as an oaf, Reeves continues to reel in choice roles and fat paychecks. Whatever he knows, he's not telling the public; his self-deprecating interview tactics and mysterious private life provide little insight into his artistry. As far as Reeves is concerned, it seems, he's just a regular guy who rides a motorcycle, plays in a band, and shows up every now and then for a movie shoot.
Keanu Reeves: Overview
LOVED him in: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Parenthood, Speed
Didn't like: My Own Private Idaho, Point Break, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
Verdict: Casual Fan or Big-Time Fangirl? Big-Time Fangirl... of the projects he's done that I like
Comments: I admit, I haven't liked everything Keanu has done, and I'm not a big enough fan(girl) to see a movie that's too bizarre for my tastes, just because he's in it. However, of those I like, I can watch them again and again -- and his gorgeous face is certainly one of the reasons.
- Quotes -
As Keanu once said...
"My name can't be *that* tough to pronounce."
"When I don't feel free and can't do what I want I just react. I go against it."
When told, "You'll just have to bite the bullet", his reply was, "Yes, but I don't have to eat the whole rifle."
"I'm a meathead, man. You've got smart people, and you've got dumb people. I just happen to be dumb."
- Favorite Scenes -
Also known as "moments"
I really like the scene in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, where Ted (Keanu) is going on about how cute Bill's young stepmother is, and Bill, fed up, shouts, "Shut up, Ted!" Unfazed, Ted just gives Bill the most brilliant smile.
I admit that The Matrix was groundbreaking - or whatever - but I wouldn't call it one of my favorite movies. Still, I did like Keanu in it. I think he did a great job of portraying the frustrations of his character as he's struggling to learn to be the hero that everyone wants him to be.
I also liked Keanu in the scene from Parenthood where his seemingly flighty character reveals some depth to Dianne Wiest's character in his thoughts on fathers and fatherhood.
- Afterthoughts -
* Trivia: His first name, Keanu, is pronounced key-an-noo.
* Trivia: (1995) Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#17).
* Trivia: Loves Ballroom dancing.
* Trivia: Was nicknamed "the wall" by high school hockey team (La Salle).
* Trivia: Had a job sharpening ice skates.
* Trivia: When trying out for the parts of Bill and Ted, each actor was paired up with another. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter were paired up, Reeves trying out for the part of Bill while Winter tried out for the part of Ted. They were cast opposite what they auditioned for.
* Trivia: Is left-handed.
Credit: bio info, quotes, and trivia are from the IMDb, edited by me.
* Share comments about Keanu Reeves or suggest additions/corrections to this page at the forums.
* View pictures - including screencaps! - at our gallery.
* Questions? Check our FAQ for FGA (Frequently Given Answers).
* What do you think of our site? Let us know by completing our brief Site Poll.
* Navigate the full list of our content at the site map