larger than life
Backstreet Boys 101
The Backstreet Boys are a Grammy-nominated male vocal pop group that enjoyed enormous success in the mid-late 1990s and 2000s. They have charted 12 U.S Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, 16 U.K. Top 10 hits and have won numerous awards, making them the highest selling boy band of all-time. Since returning to the music scene in 2005, their sound changed drastically, incorporating only live instruments (some of which they play themselves) and a rock edge. The now four-member group consists of Nick Carter, Howie Dorough, Brian Littrell, and A.J. McLean; original member Kevin Richardson left the group on June 23, 2006.
Backstreet Boys: Review
Favorite Songs? "I Want It That Way" "Drowning" "Quit Playing Games With My Heart"
Favorite Lines? "Every time I breathe, I take you in." (Okay, it's corny... but sweet!) "Voices tell me I should carry on, but I am swimming in an ocean all alone." (I think we've all been there.)
Favorite Album? The Hits - Chapter One
Least Favorite Lines? "Show me the meaning of being lonely." (What, you don't know?) "I'll never break your heart." (Never say never!) "I don't care who you are ... what you did as long as you love me." (Sounds great, but it's not at all practical.)
Verdict: Casual Fan or Big-Time Fangirl? Casual Fan
Comments: For a time - WAY back when I added this page to the site, actually - I found myself briefly obsessed with the Backstreet Boys. Let's just say they had kind of a "six degrees of separation" thing. I've calmed down quite a bit, but I still smile when I hear one of their songs play on the radio.
- Lyrics -
As the guys once sang...
I may run and hide
When you're screamin' my name, alright
But let me tell you now
There are prices to fame, alright
All of our time spent in flashes of light
All you people can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Every time we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life
Every time I breathe, I take you in.
You are my fire
The one desire
Believe when I say
I want it that way
Quit playing games with my heart
Before you tear us apart
I should have known from the start
You know you've gotta stop
Quit playing games with my heart
Hey girl, I don't want you to cry no more inside
All the money in the world could never add up to all the love
I have inside... I love you
But my love is all I have to give
Without you I don't think I can live
I wish I could give the world to you
But love is all I have to give... to you
Don't pretend you're sorry
I know you're not
You know you got the power
To make me weak inside
Girl you leave me breathless
But it's okay 'cause
You are my survival
Now hear me say
I can't imagine life
Without your love
Even forever don't seem
Like long enough
Empty spaces fill me up with holes
Distant faces with no place left to go
Without you within me I can't find no way
Where I'm going is anybody's guess
I've tried to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I pray for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be is incomplete
Voices tell me I should carry on
But I am swimming in an ocean all alone
- Lessons Learned -
What can we learn from these guys?
* "Backstreet's Back." (Were they gone?)
* Promising to never break someone's heart is a lofty, if improbable goal.
* Ditto for saying you don't care what someone's done as long as they love you.
* Actions can speak louder than words - or nice gifts.
* Cheaters, beware. No one's buying that your phone battery is low.
* Sometimes love means having to ask forgiveness.
* If you have a problem, it is okay to seek help.
* Playing games with another's heart will likely tear you apart.
* People can see through when you are only pretending to apologize.
* You want it that way. Okay, but what way is that, exactly?
* Try not to judge people you meet by people you've met.
* Wishing to turn back time is pointless. It's better to deal with the present.
* Fame has its price.
* Some people irrationally asked to be shown the meaning of a feeling.
* What makes you different just might be what makes you beautiful.
* When you know you should say, "No," don't say, "Yes"!
- Afterthoughts -
* Trivia: According to Guinness Book of World Records in 2001, "the biggest boy band in history" was the Backstreet Boys when they achieved record-breaking sales of 17 million copies of their album Millennium by March 2001.
* Trivia: "I'll Never Break Your Heart" was the #1 video on the first episode of MTV's Total Request Live in 1998.
* Trivia: According to the US Billboard 200, they are the first artist since Sade to have each of their albums reach top 10 on the chart.
* Share comments about the Backstreet Boys or suggest additions/corrections to this page at the forums.
* View pictures at our gallery.
* Questions? Check our FAQ for FGA (Frequently Given Answers).
* What do you think of our site? Let us know by completing our brief Site Poll.
* Navigate the full list of our content at the site map